TV Console Makeover!
I found this piece on Market place and immediately fell in love with it.. I was scrolling through my phone at 6:30 am and by 2 pm it was in the back of my truck going home with me. I knew exactly where it was going (temporarily ) and what I was going to do with it.
This project had me a little tiny bit reluctant in its makeover.
Why is that you may ask , well you see I’m a white girl and love white furniture and can say with my hand on my heart that I’m not a dark furniture girl at all!! But with this makeover I just had to do something completely different..
In our new build I promised my hubby that he could have some say in decorating the media/ cinema room .. So I had to try do something that was not so girly but yet have a classy look while still having some masculinity to it..
Let’s get started
So the first thing I did was , get my sanders out and completely sand the top and get it ready for stain and waxing.. I find that doing this has a great durability and makes the piece look so much classier and richer ( in my opinion) But this time I decide to paint strip it first ( just the top only) and this made life so much easier 💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻 happy dance!! So I seen this technique used on YouTube and thought umm!! I’m gonna give that a try.
Here it goes!
- Put your paint stripper on
- Then put cling wrap on it
- Wait for the recommended time on the tin..
- Then , while the cling wrap is still on use your scraper to strip the varnish/ paint off
- Don’t do what I did and do the entire piece at once , do it in sections maybe half and half as it dries fast..
Then I got my belt sander ( sorry not shown in the pictures ) Then I used my orbital sander with a medium grit and then I used a finer grit for the final sand.
I filled any holes , which to my surprise , had very few! Then lightly sanded the areas I filled..
Moving on 💃🏻
Something I’ve never done before is spray paint yay!! So much easier when your dealing with shelves etc .. I taped up the top of the tv console where I had sanded and also taped up the glass on the two doors and started to spray. I did leave the handles on as I intended to keep them. But , at the end of the project I decided to change them out for something more timely looking on the piece .
The doors had a metal insert behind the glass ( hated the colour) so I took those out and sprayed them also.
I then peeled off the paper from the top
I actually debated with myself wether to white wash the top or give it a bleached look so after stepping away for an hr or so I decided to keep the top dark. After all this I’d fit my hubby and not me.
So out comes the Java gel
I gave it about two or three coats . Just randomly all over the top until I liked the look .. Always apply it in the same direction as the grain.
These are the door handles I decided to use (awesome)
And the finished product
I hope you enjoyed the tutorial and gives you inspiration.. This piece was my ugly duckling piece .. What might look ugly can turn into something beautiful if you give it a go!!
Be blessed all!!
One thought on “TV Console Makeover”
Comments are now closed.